Cleric Spells (Paul Bunyan)
Clerics of Paul Bunyan have access to the following spells. Since he is only a demigod though, his clerics have a 25% chance of failure each time they try to cast spells of 4th level or higher. This penalty is in addition to any other requirements his clerics might have to make such spells work, no matter how many trees they cut.
1st Level: Create Water (as blue snow), Cure Light Wounds, Protection from Evil, Purify Food and Drink, Remove Fear, Resist Cold, Sanctuary (if out on the frontier), Animal CompanionD, Detect Snare and PitsD, Divine WeatherD, Pass without TraceD, Enlarge*, Jump*, Ventriloquism*
2nd Level: Bless, Delay Poison, find Traps, Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon (held by a phantom lumberjack), BarkskinD, StumbleD, Strength* (recipient becomes very hungry afterward)
3rd Level: Animal Growth, Cure Blindness, Cure Disease, Dispel Magic, Locate Object, Remove Curse, Striking (on allowed weapons), Plant GrowthD, SnareD, Frontiersman’s Cabin (as Tiny Hut*)
4th Level^: Create Food and Water (lumberjack fare), Cure Serious Wounds, Detect Lie, Divination, Lower Water, Neutralize Poison, Protection from Evil 10’ Radius, Hallucinatory TerrainD, Temperature ControlD (to make things colder)
5th Level^: Commune, Cure Critical Wounds, Dispel Evil, Flame Strike (appears as Paul’s axe coming down from the sky), Plane Shift (only works when cast out on the frontier), Distort Distance* (no earth elemental required), Teleport* (as Plane Shift)
6th Level^: Animate Objects, Earthquake (thanks to the movements of a giant, blue ox), Find the Path, Heal, Part Water, Speak with Creatures, Stone Tell, Ice Storm* (looks blue)
^25% (additional) chance of spell failure
1st Level (d9): Blessing, Food of the Gods (lumberjack fare), Holy Sanctuary (if out on the frontier), Paralysis, Protection from Evil, Resist Cold (but not heat), Animal Summoning*, Enlarge*, Ventriloquism*
2nd Level (d6): Cure Paralysis, Divine Symbol, Neutralize Poison or Disease, Restore Vitality, Locate Object*, Strength* (recipient becomes very hungry afterward)
3rd Level (d5): Bolt from the Blue (appears as Paul’s axe coming down from the sky), Remove Curse, Spiritual Weapon (held by a phantom lumberjack), Dispel Magic*, Paul’s Axe (as Blade of Atropos*, but it requires an axe and has a bonus against fearsome critters instead)
4th Level^ (d4): Cause Earthquake (thanks to the movements of a giant, blue ox), Breathe Life*, Frontiersman’s Bond (as Bottomfeeder Bond*, but works with those who dwell on the great frontier), Planar Step* (only works when cast out on the frontier)
^25% (additional) chance of spell failure
Avatar of Paul Bunyan
Atk: 1 axe
SP: Paul Bunyan cleric spells/abilities (caster level 9), immune to any harmful cold effects), 50% chance of having a giant, blue ox companion (stats below)
Magic Resistance: 10%
Ever happy, rigorous, and hungry, Paul Bunyan Avatars are quick to aid the faithful or anyone else caught up in a tricky situation. Found almost exclusively on the great frontier, they are otherwise quite prosaic, simply clear-cutting vast swathes of wilderness while happily singing a song, only to dine on enormous flapjacks and other oversized lumberjack cuisine afterwards. Wilderness types might appreciate their ruggedness, but may not be too fond of such destruction. On the other hand, those who favor civilization would likely appreciate it. For their part, if questioned, Paul Bunyan Avatars will simply ask if it’s chow time yet.
Giant, blue ox companion: Mve: 60’; AC 4; HD 5; Attk: 1 trample; Dmg: 2d6; Sve: F5, Mor: 6 (12 when around the cleric)
DCC RPG stats:
Init: +2; Atk axe +19 (7d6+6); AC 16; HD 15d10; MV 40’; Act 2d20; SP Paul Bunyan cleric spells/abilities (caster level 12), immune to any harmful cold effects), 50% chance of having a giant, blue ox companion; SV Fort +20, Ref +5, Will +12; AL N
Paul Bunyan encounters
1. As it gets very chilly out, all in the immediate area must make a Constitution check / Fortitude save DC 15 or begin to freeze to death.
2. 1d4 fearsome critters attack the party, see divine test results #16-17 for stats!
3. Strange weather occurs with blue snow falling, words freezing on the air, or even torchlight turning to ice. Those who witness it must save vs. spell / make a Will save DC 15 or be too fascinated to leave for the next 1d6 turns.
4. 4d4 very happy lumberjacks are found, humming, whistling, and/or outright singing. They have a base 80% chance of being over 6’ tall, a 40% chance of having a Paul Bunyan cleric amongst them, and a 20% chance of wearing women’s clothes.
5. Scintillating lights appear. It is a portal that leads to the Big Rock Candy Mountains, a fey realm land of plenty- see Volume II to generate details and it would be much appreciated by Paul Bunyan and his faithful.
6. A giant, blue ox arrives and guesses that the one in the party with the highest strength score is its master. It will follow them around for the next 4d6 turns, destroying most structures they enter and causing a general ruckus, unless somehow given the slip.
7. Would you believe it, but an enormous, 1d30 x 10’ diameter flapjack is found! There is a 50% chance of it still being in its enormous frying pan, as well as a 10% chance each hour of a Paul Bunyan Avatar coming to claim it.
8. 1d4 miles of trees in a random direction get chopped down. Witnesses report that a large fella done it.
9. Strangely, the path, road, or route the party is on becomes straight. It’s almost like some gigantic ox pulled it hard enough to make it that way.
10. The next dead beast the party encounters, by their hand or elsewise, immediately comes back as a fearsome critter (see divine test results #16-17 for stats). It may now be chow time!
11. If a tree fell on you in the forest, would you make a sound? An unlucky party member will find out, taking 1d30 damage.
12. Enraged nature types arrive, upset over these changes to the natural order. They total 2d4 rangers, druids, squirrels, and/or other tree-huggers and are out to put a stop to all the clear-cutting, gluttony, and strange weather that has occurred. As such, they will take a very dim view of any Paul Bunyan clerics they meet.
Next week: druids of the demon lord Johnny Applewheeze!