What shall you uncover on your journeys? Check with Mercury: Neutral God of Messengers, Trade, Travel, & Luck, to find out!
1. A messenger arrives unexpectedly and he wants the party to (roll 1d4):  retrieve an item (roll again on #8 below),  make a trade,  follow him in a random direction for 2d4 hours,  travel to a location (roll again on #5 below). There is a 75% chance of the messenger being a priest of Mercury; 10% chance of actually being one of his Avatars.
2. A Mercurian priestess takes great interest in spreading luck and grants all within 60’ a special blessing for the next hour (roll 1d4):  physical swiftness (+2 DEX and +20’ speed),  mental swiftness (+4 INT),  great lightness (may jump for +10’ and also be immune to falling damage as a result,  hermaphroditism. In any case, none of those so blessed can wear pants, though the blessing can be resisted with a save vs. spell- especially #4!
3. The weather turns clear, cool, dry, and windy for the next 1d6 hours- very Mercurial. All types who enjoy such conditions gain a +1 bonus to all rolls while it lasts; all who don’t suffer a -1.
4. A magic-user is encountered, but this is no ordinary one: it is a Hermetic Wizard. He is of 2d4th level and knows nearly all of the spells of the various Roman gods- much as a lector priest does with the Egyptian ones (see Thoth in Volume III for details).
5. The party is tasked to travel to one of the following locations, receiving a blessing of Mercury of their choice (see #2 above) that lasts for their journey if they accept (roll 1d6):  a nearby dungeon,  a nearby city,  a nearby mountain,  a herm where a priest of Mercury is carrying a goat,  a mysterious island,  an Otherworld- see Manannan in Volume II for possibilities.
6-7. It is revealed that an otherwise normal-appearing NPC is actually a mystic of Mercury. He offers to teach any party spellcasters how to change one of their magical side-effect requirements into one of the following. Actual mystics in the party may opt to replace as many of their side-effects as they wish, syncretizing their magic in a Mercurial way indeed:
[I] Cannot wear pants when casting the spell or for 1d3 hours thereafter.
[II] After casting the spell, must travel to a location at least 1d4 quarter miles distant sometime within the next hour.
[III] Must be in the wind or under the open sky (Mercurial weather preferred- see #3 above) when casting the spell or within 1d4 hours afterwards.
[IV] For the next turn after casting the spell, they may choose to reroll any rolls they make once, but must take the second result. Unfortunately, so too can any foes they face during that time.
[V] Must be on a road or trail when casting the spell or within 1 hour afterwards.
[VI] Must cast the spell without others knowing.
8. An important item is ready to be acquired. It is located 2d4 miles in a random direction and is guarded by some dangerous monster, but it’s likely worth it, for it is (roll 1d4):  sandals that allow the wearer to fly at a rate of 40’,  a winged helm that grants +2 Intelligence,  a short bow that casts Charm Person on those it hits (and who still live),  a caduceus that grants it’s wielder a +2 to all healing magic rolls
9. Though ‘escort nymphs’ may have certain connotations, 1d4 of them join the party and it is up to the latter to bring such beauties to their destination 4d4 miles away without haplessly falling in love (see Freya in Volume I for what might make them especially attractive).
Mve: 40’; AC 9*; HD 2; Attk: none; Dmg: none; SP: 15+1d4 Charisma, Charm Person or Mammal at will (as a 12th level caster), *All those who wish to harm them must save vs. spell first; Sve: C10, Mor: 7
10. As Oneiropomp, Mercury comes to 1d4 random party members in a dream. He will inspire them to solve some problem they are facing, though it will likely require them to assist a temple of Mercury and also avoid wearing pants (a base 85% chance of each).
11. Like how Mercury faced Argus, the party faces a Panoptic giant of their own. The all-seeing monster emerges, with eyes all over its body, and attacks immediately!
Mve: 50’; AC 5; HD 9; Attk: 1 club; Dmg: 2d6; SP: Never surprised; Sve: F9, Mor: 9
12. In celebration of the Mercuralia, merchants converge on the area, offering any item the party might wish to buy, though the price may be quite high. Still, those who follow Lord Mercury will be shown a way.
DCC RPG Conversion notes
Save vs. Spell= Will save DC 15
Escort Nymphs: Init: +7; Atk none; AC 10*; HD 2d8; MV 30’; Act 1d20; SP 15+1d4 Personality/Comeliness, Charm Person at will (+15 spell check), *All those who wish to harm them must make a Will save DC 15 to do so first; SV Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +9
Panoptic Giant: Init: +2; Atk club +11 (2d6+4); AC 14; HD 9d10; MV 40’; Act 1d20; SP Never surprised; SV Fort +10, Ref +2, Will +7
Veloxus, Sample 9th Level Priest of MercuryAlign: N
MV: 55’ (boots of speed and also experiencing a #12 magical side-effect)
Atk: 1* (fights as a magic-user)
Dmg: 1d6+2 (+2 caduceus mace) or 1d6+2 (+2 staff)
SP: Mercury turn ability, mysteries, priest ability
Spells prepared: [1st] Cure Light Wounds (x2), Detect Magic, Feather Fall*, Jump*
[2nd] Augury, Bless, ESP, Invisibility*, Knock*
[3rd] Cure Blindness, Remove Curse, Blink*, Clairaudience*,
[4th] Cure Serious Wounds, Hallucinatory TerrainD, Arcane Eye*
[5th] Plane Shift
Possessions: Holy symbol, bracers of armor (+2 AC bonus), +2 caduceus mace, +2 staff, boots of speed (+10’ move), robes, 186 gold pieces, three 1st level Mercury priest acolytes
Veloxus, DCC StatsInit +8 (experiencing a #12 magical side-effect)
Atk caduceus mace +6 melee (1d6+2) or staff +6 melee (1d6+2)
Act 1d20 + 1d20
SP: Mercury turn ability, mysteries, priest ability
Spells known: [1st] Blessing, Detect Magic, Protection from Evil, Holy Sanctuary, Resist Cold or Heat, Second Sight, Feather Fall*, Intellectus*
[2nd] Banish, Cure Paralysis, Restore Vitality, Stinging Stone, Detect Invisible*, ESP*, Invisibility*
[3rd] Remove Curse, Speak with the Dead, Consult Spirit*, Dispel Magic*, Planar Step*
Exorcise, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic*
[4th] Sanctify, Mercury’s Assistance, Wizard Sense*
[5th] The Dreaming*
Next week: Divinity Encounters, the Morrighan!