Unlike his Greek counterpart Ares *link*, the province of Mars is one of more orderly and soldierly combat, not to mention the home front that maintains the campaigns that make such repeated battles possible.
In honor of Mars and to use the table below:
- When in melee, have each combatant roll with each attack they make.
- The one making the attack will gain the listed benefits if the situation applies to them. If it doesn’t apply, then add nothing, though the result will help describe that part of the battle in any case.
- Each benefit lasts for 1 round, keeping things interesting. For even more dramatic fights, use Battle Events from Volume II.
- Last, skilled warriors and devout followers of Mars and other war divinities can opt to roll a d4 to fight offensively or a d4+4 to fight defensively instead, as each round warrants.
1. Hack: +1 to hit and damage if their weapon is longer and/or heavier than their foe’s; +2 if both apply.
2. Slash: +1 to hit and damage if their weapon is sharp or their foe lacks body armor or a shield; +2 if more than one applies.
3. Thrust: +1 to hit and damage if their foe lacks body armor; +3 if their weapon is also sharp and pointed. Takes a -1 AC penalty the following round if they miss with this attack, due to being off-balance.
4. Slam: +1 to hit and damage if their weapon is heavy, blunt, or their foe lacks a shield; +2 if more than one applies. If hit, foe also suffers -3 to their initiative roll for the next round.
5. Parry: +1 AC bonus if wielding a sword or shield; +2 if wielding both.
6. Block: +1 AC bonus if wielding a shield or has some other sort of cover, including adjacent allies; +2 if more than one applies.
7. Duck: +1 AC bonus if wearing a helmet or their DEX is higher than their foe’s; +2 if both apply.
8. Dodge: +1 AC bonus if their DEX is higher than their foe’s or they aren’t wearing body armor; +2 if both apply. If not hit, then they can reposition themselves 5’ away for the next round.
DCC RPG Conversion notes
To hit= Attack bonus
Gaius Nicator, Sample 8th Level Cleric of MarsAlign: L
Dmg: 1d6+2 (+2 short sword) or 1d6+1 (+1 spear)
SP: Mars turn ability, mysteries
Spells prepared: [1st] Command, Cure Light Wounds (x2), Remove Fear, Scare*
[2nd] Bless, Delay Poison, Hold Person, Strength*
[3rd] Cure Blindness, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Prayer
[4th] Cure Serious Wounds, Exorcise
Possessions: Holy symbol, +1 banded armor, +1 shield, +2 short sword, +1 spear, dagger robes, 3 days rations, 137 gold pieces, fasces-scepter, two 1st level Mars cleric acolytes
Gaius Nicator, DCC StatsInit +2
Atk short sword +7 melee (1d6+2) or spear +6 ranged (1d6+1)
Act 1d20 + 1d20
SP: Manannan turn ability, mysteries, mystic ability
Spells known: [1st] Blessing, Detect Evil, Paralysis, Protection from Evil, Food of the Gods, Resist Cold or Heat, Word of Command, Scare
[2nd] Cure Paralysis, Curse, Divine Symbol, Neutralize Poison or Disease, Restore Vitality, Strength*
[3rd] Exorcise, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic*
[4th] Affliction of the Gods
Next week: Divinity Encounters, Mercury!