The cold, dark north births great calamity. So too does the magic of Louhi, for not only may her noitas need meet some requirement, but those so targeted by her spells will often experience additional misfortune. Such side-effects can be resisted (by saving vs. death), but then any beneficial aspects of the spell will also be halved. In any case, roll a d12 and a d10 to determine what occurs.
1-2. Blind Daughter of Tuoni: The noita loses her ability to see for the next 3d4 rounds.
3-4. Cold-Cast: The spell must be cast in an area of 40 degrees or lower. If not, then it will occur once such an area is reached.
5-6. Dark Ways: Fitting for one who's black in heart and soul and visage, all within 120' becomes dark for the next 2d6 rounds, making it hard for all without special ability to see.
7-8. Usual Magic: The magic casts normally, though the spell's target may still suffer misfortune, maintaining most of its nastiness.
9-10. Impregnation of the East Wind: If the noita anoints her sacred members in order to actually give birth to the spell (a process taking an extra 3d6 rounds), then her labors may be lightened and its effect, range, or duration can be doubled.
11-12. Pohjolan Magic: The magic works for twice its normal effect, range, or duration, as well as it not being expended that day. What is more, the noita will be able to sense the presence of any Finns (or others that don't belong in the cold, dark north) who are within 60' for the next 3d6 rounds.
The target must save vs. death or suffer (roll 1d10):
1. Colic: Collapse in pain, crying over some obstruction for the next 2d3 rds.
2. Pleurisy: Must make a INT or CON check to be able to breathe enough to even move each round, lasting for the next 2d6 rounds.
3. Fever: Suffer very unpleasant heat, causing a set -1d6 to all rolls for the next 1d6 turns.
4. Ulcer: Undergo intermittent, sharp pains and a variable -1d6 to all rolls for the next 1d6 turns, rerolled every turn.
5. Plague: Reroll on this table and the result becomes communicable. Those who come in contact with the target while experiencing the rerolled effect must save vs. death or also begin experiencing the effect too!
6. Consumption: As Pleurisy, but is contagious (as Plague).
7. Gout: Be wracked by intense pain for the next 2d6 rounds, must make a STR or WIS check to move each round.
8. Sterility: Cannot mate for 1d6 days!
9. Cancer: Lose 1d6-1 from each ability score each day for the next 3d12 days. Death occurs if any score is reduced to less than 3 during that time (unless this effect is removed before then- as a curse).
10. Strife & Envy: Begin hating Finns, males, and pretty much anything else that's not Pohjolan for the next 1d6 turns. Must save vs. death to resist acting on those feelings if the situation warrants.
DCC RPG Conversion notes:
Spell not being expended that day = gains a +2 bonus to its spell check