Just what has Vulcan forged today? Find out here.
1. A smith is spotted. He turns out to be a (roll 1d8):  simple follower of Vulcan,  skilled follower of Vulcan,  masterful follower of Vulcan, [4-6] cleric of Vulcan,  smith-priest of Vulcan,  Avatar of Vulcan. He has a base 40 + (1d6 x 10)% chance of being available to craft or repair items for the right price, especially if they are Roman ones.
2. Great heat overcomes the area, causing all to suffer a -1d6 to all rolls unless they are protected or otherwise favor such temperatures. And though it lasts for the next 1d6 hours, at least it’s a dry heat.
3. Suddenly a fire breaks out, 1d6 x 5’ feet in diameter, 1d20 x 5’ away in a random direction. All who are caught in it take 2d6 damage until it burns out 6d6 rounds later.
4. Who wrought this? The next item that experiences some sort of stress (being pushed, dropped, or even parried in battle) immediately breaks. Hopefully, a follower of Vulcan is nearby to fix it.
5. Perhaps he wasn’t cast from Mount Olympus by his mother, but a random party member goes lame, suffering a -10’ speed penalty, but also gaining +1 Strength or Constitution. Any healing of the former will also eliminate the latter.
6. Whoever heard of elves having something to do with the Smith God? The next follower of Vulcan the party encounters (or if there is already one in the party) will treat any elves they meet badly. The same goes for elves who meet followers of Vulcan. Such a situation lasts for the next 1d3 days, even if it does seem illogical.
7. Venus has been looking at Mars a bit too much! A random, unlucky character will have his woman betray him for a stronger man. Double his chances of being selected if he is a smith like Vulcan.
8. Something moves up ahead and yet it is not alive in the normal sense. It is an automaton- likely constructed by some follower of Vulcan. See Volume II to generate its personality and, if it’s a homicidal maniac, it will likely only be stopped by stairs (if it doesn’t have legs)...
Mve: 10 + (1d12 x5)’; AC (1-6); HD (1-10); Attk: slam; Dmg: (1-10) + (1-4); SP: immune to sleep, charm, poison, and the like; Sve: (by HD), Mor: 12
(Note the variable stats since automatons can vary greatly based on what they’re made of and how they’re constructed. For example, one automaton may have Mve 20’, AC 3, HD 4, and do 1d5+4 damage, while another might have Mve 55’, AC 5, HD 2, and do 1d8+2 damage.)
9. An aging follower of Vulcan (per #1 above) is seeking a worthy apprentice to teach his craft. Along with the usual instruction in blacksmithing, he will also teach 1d4 Vulcan Glyphs, each of which can be used to grant a specific type of item a +1d3 bonus in return for an extra 1d20 x 1,000 gold pieces in manufacture time/cost. Roll 1d10 to determine what the glyphs can empower:  short swords,  daggers,  bows,  pilum (Roman javelins that can’t be thrown back,  shields,  helms,  body armor,  tools,  doors and barriers,  per Referee .
10. With great fires being lit and clothes drying everywhere, a Vulcanalia is celebrated here. 1d4 smiths are around (see #1 above) and will automatically be available and at a reduced price to those who respect the ways of Vulcan. There is also a base 50% chance of visitors experiencing great heat (per #2 above) or even fires (#3 above) for each hour they are there.
11. Guarded by a cyclops (see Volume I for stats), a remarkable item is held, likely forged by Vulcan himself: (roll 1d6):  Bow of Influence: those struck by it must save vs. spell or be Charmed for 1d6 rounds,  Club of Stunning: those hit by it must save vs. death or be unable to act for 1d3 rounds,  Hide of Changing: allows the wearer to look like an animal of their choice for 1d6 minutes,  Necklace of Flying: grants the bearer the power of flight at a rate of 40’ per round,  Spear of Dueling: grants a +1 attack bonus,  Chariot of Protection: grants a save bonus of 2 along with the usual AC bonus of chariots (see Volume III for details).
And for additional ideas, see Items Magica/ Items Mechanica in Volume II.
12. Did you hear that? The earth shakes and a nearby mountaintop begins to rumble. It will explode in fiery doom within 1d6 turns, killing most- a base 95% chance; 50% if followers of Vulcan, if they don’t escape in time!
DCC RPG Conversion notes
Save vs. spell= make a Will save DC 15
Save vs. death= make a Will save DC 10
Automaton: Init: -2 to +3; Atk slam +2 to +12 melee (1d1 to 1d10) +(1d4); AC 13-19; HD (1 to 10)d10; MV 10’ to 70’; Act 1d20; immune to sleep, charm, poison, and the like; SV Fort +2 to +10, Ref -4 to +2, Will Nil
Flavius Cincius, Sample 6th Level Cleric of Vulcan
AC: 0 (3 from behind)
Atk: 1 (hammer or crossbow)
SP: Vulcanian mysteries, turn ability
Spells prepared: [1st] Cure Light Wounds, Detect Evil (Mothers, Wives, or Lovers), Resist Cold, Burning Hands*
[2nd] Spiritual Weapon, Shatter*, Stinking Cloud*
[3rd] Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding
Possessions: Holy symbol, +1 hammer, +1 crossbow, +1 banded mail, Roman shield, 62 gold pieces, blacksmithing supplies, 3 days’ rations
Flavius, DCC Stats
Atk +4 (1d8+1 hammer or crossbow)
AC 19 (16 from behind)
SP: Vulcanian mysteries, turn ability
Spells known: [1st] Blessing, Detect Evil (Mothers, Wives, or Lovers), Paralysis, Resist Cold or Heat, Flaming Hands*
[2nd] Cure Paralysis, Restore Vitality, Choking Cloud*, Fire Resistance*, Shatter*
[3rd] Spiritual Weapon, Runic Alphabet (Fey)*
Next week: Divinity Encounters, Balor!