Lawful Norse God of Borders, Bridges, & Guardianship
* Ensure that folk remain in their place, whether it be homeland or caste
* Assist guardians in bridging the worlds to defeat monsters
* Remain ever vigilant against incursion
Clerics of Heimdall
Special: Heimdall is served by clerics, paladins, and priests.
Allowed Weapons: Sword (any), spear, horn (as club), dagger
Allowed Armor: Chainmail and shield or lighter
Holy Symbol: Horn, the color White, Rainbow Bridge
Can Turn: Invaders
Mysteries of Heimdall: Being quite stalwart, clerics of Heimdall gain a +1 bonus per level to all saves and detection rolls when defending an area.
Those who provide sentry in the name of Heimdall must watch over their charges carefully, but they can also be granted greater aid in doing so. Roll 1d12.
1. Guardian’s Debt: A true protector must be willing to sacrifice much. 1d4 damage is taken, either by the spell’s recipient (if beneficial) or by the cleric (if not). Otherwise, an object worth 1d6 gold pieces per spell level would be acceptable.
2. Shame unto Trespassers: Heimdall’s horn resounds and the spell’s target must save vs. death or take 2d2 damage to their Charisma from the embarrassment. Those who do save won’t gain any benefits from the spell though.
3. Hljóð Given: Like the Allfather did with his eye, the cleric must surrender either his voice or an ear for the next 1d6 hours. In the former case, he can say nothing, but can still cast spells by blowing his horn. In the latter, he suffers a -6 penalty to all hearing-related rolls.
4. Sentinel of Himinbjörg: The cleric must be at a boundary area or the spell must deal with the same. Otherwise, it only works at 50% its normal strength.
5. Bridge Lord’s Warding: The area becomes watched over by Heimdall, granting a +2 AC bonus to all within 120’ of the casting.
6-8. Standard Magic: The spell functions without side-effect this time.
9. Huscarl Spell: Though the magic works with a 50% bonus to its effect, range, or duration, the cleric may not initiate any attacks for the next 1d6 minutes unless his lord or land are under direct threat.
10. Honor Unto Sentry: If the spell would provide protection or otherwise help those guard an area via divination, then its effect, range, or duration can be bolstered by 50%.
11. Gjallarhorn: If the cleric blows his horn, then the spell works for double effect, range, or duration.
12. By Bifrost’s Light: The great rainbow bridge shimmers above, allowing the spell to work for double its effect, range or duration, as well as it not being expended that day. What is more, Heimdall grants the recipient a +1 bonus to AC and a +6 to listening and hearing–related rolls for the next hour if the spell is meant to help them.
DCC RPG Conversion notes:
Can turn= Unholy creatures
Save vs. death= Will save DC 10
Save vs. spell= Will save DC 15
Spell not expended= +2 bonus to its spell check
Next week: clerics of Heimdall, Part II!